Thursday, October 27, 2011

Random News Stuff

I have my home page set to Yahoo and I've never gotten around to changing it, so every now and then, I notice a couple of dumb or odd news stories. Over the past few months, I've been saving some up for possible new things to post, but I figured I might as well just make quick comments on a few of them, because I'd rather concentrate on other things in my life or other blog posts.

Which, BTW, when it comes to my blog, it's typically just me pouring thoughts out from my head and into Cyberspace, and I don't edit my blogs a lot (like errors and such), so naturally stupid shit comes from my fingers. I also don't type as eloquently as I usually do when I write something, but I assure you I can if I try. Here, though, I don't, because it's a way for me to relax (as if I don't do enough relaxing with my wife, if you know what I mean).

Anyway, on with the commentary.

Note to parents: Stop trying so hard

I agree that parents really shouldn't be so hard on their kids like he says, but I don't think he's saying it for the right reasons. I've said a lot ont he subject before, but. . . you know what, it's hard to say interests and talents are natural when they change and, at least in the case of talent, have to be built up with repetition for it to become better, no matter how good they are. I didn't always used to be amazing at guitar, and it took me several years to learn how to play almost every song on Joe Satriani's Surfing With the Alien. Also took me several years to become a competent writer, and I'm still learning. Even my wife, who has always been a great singer, I don't think that's quite the case because I think that's mostly because she has always loved doing it and grew up with a musical mother singing to her all of the time and such. Not that I don't doubt anything at all is natural, I just think this is bullshit. But still, the guy has his heart in the right place, it seems, so I won't harp on it too much.

Hot pink-toenailed boy in J. Crew ad sparks controversy

Young boy wishes to join Girl Scouts

For these two, I actually don't have a lot to say. Just that it's bullshit that people even worry about the rules set by society for gender being broken in the first place. Seriously, it's no big fucking deal if you let people live their lives the way they want. To not want that for them otherwise creates a mass of unhappiness one way or another. Trust me, I know. I'm a ginger lesbian liberal atheist metalhead nerd who was raised mostly by her own cousin and had a shitty father who now resides in prison, so it should be obvious my life has most certainly not been easy.

But I will say, for the Girl Scouts story in general, it's nice that they are willing to accept those who identify as girls regardless of their biological sex characteristics, but at the same time, the whole idea of having a Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, each with their own gender role-specific activities, is a highly sexist idea anyway, so I'm glad they're moving away from that bullshit.

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading

But when you want to talk about bullshit, this is one of the biggest bullshit ideas I've heard in a long time. The no smoking idea at least had some form of merit, because it not only physically harms people, especially those who are highly allergic to smoke such as myself, it harms the environment. People say it's not a lot compared to emissions from cars and such, but it is still highly harmful considering so many people smoke cigarettes. This isn't to say I'm against marijuana legalization, but cigarette smoke in particular is highly toxic. Anyway, the point is having kids around isn't going to harm you unless they're hitting you or something, in which case the one child should be dealt with, not all of them. They're limiting natural rights by allowing this, not just of the kids, but of the parents of kids as well, since that limits their entry as well because sometimes parents just don't have a choice of where and when they can and can't take their kids. That's a lot of fucking people, and that might even be my wife and I included someday. But all in all, if all something is doing is simply annoying you, get the fuck over it. I know it sucks, but that's the only way you really can deal with it. Or leave, but that's, you know, your choice. Wouldn't want to force that, now would I?

And lastly:

ways-your-job-is-killing-you

This is being posted simply for interest. This is shit I've realized a long goddamn time ago, but I guess we need articles like this to present to dipshits out there who somehow don't realize some of these problems. Seriously, when it comes to businesses and jobs and such, this is just the icing on the cake, too. Imagine if they could take a few minutes out of their oh-so-busy schedules to sit the fuck down and relax and think for a while, and see just how much more bullshit they can realize. That's another problem is quite a few people in this country work too fucking much (even eight hours is a little much, because a lot of people don't realize the human mind wasn't built to handle that kind of pressure, hence stress and such), or at least have it in their minds that they do, so much that they don't have time to pick their own noses and can barely take a minute to soak in the big picture. Should say a lot, really, so I'll leave it at that.

No comments: