Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Blacks an Endangered Species?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/06/us/06abortion.html

Okay, first off, their statistics only cover Georgia. Not the whole country, or even half of it, just Georgia. That means that the claim that blacks are an endangered species is far-fetched. Get more data, please.

And although I'm at least glad that there was a reason given other than some typical Conservative/Christian ideology, it's still fucking racist, even though the idea was put out there by blacks themselves (apparently). It's especially stupid to believe the conspiracy that abortion laws are apparently targeting blacks when anyone can choose (they're not forced) to get abortions.

Of course, they're trying to use their statistics as argument against abortion. they claim that a lot of black women getting abortions is leading to a decrease in the black population. While I won't dispute that claim, I'd imagine things would be worse if abortion was made downright illegal. The mortality rate was higher in this country before abortion was made illegal, because women would either die through the birthing process (i.e. the best reason to have an abortion), and would have unsafe illegal abortions (either getting severely injured or even die from it). I've heard some even killed themselves, but I can't remember where I heard that. Maybe my Social Problems class.

I can see how abortion can cause a problem, though. I've seen that mentality out there that women think they can and should use abortion as a form of birth control at any time. I'm all for women's rights on this issue (of course, why wouldn't I be?), but at the same time, I see abortion as being a health practice. I can understand certain situations, too. You've been raped, and you'd be further traumatized by having the baby? Okay, sure, go ahead and get one. There are several reasons, including economical ones, out of your control that make you unable to take care of the baby, and you didn't mean to have one in the first place because of that? Okay, go ahead, I guess. You didn't expect to have a pregnancy because you knew you can't support a baby anyway and having the baby could ruin your life? Well, all right. You had sex and got pregnant on purpose, and you can take care of the baby, yet don't want to? Well, that's where I have a problem. At that point, there's no good health/situational reason to have an abortion, so I don't see a reason why it should happen. That's the kind of thing that should be banned, if anything, not just abortion in general. But see, that's the problem I see with Conservatives on issues like this. They see one problem among a whole spectrum, but they want that whole spectrum gone just because of that one problem instead of having the one problem easily fixed. And I know I just generalized, but I see it so often that it's rare to see it happen the other way. Seriously, I can't even recall a time when that hasn't happened.

Despite said problem, there is another that people pulling for abortion can't control: terrorists. Religious terrorists. Christian terrorists. Not kidding, for those of you who are Christian and are reading this. Your side is just as perfectly capable as Al Qaeda, quite frankly, and I mean no offense in saying that. It's just a fact. Just to help show that it is a fact, did you know the Ku Klux Klan is a Christian terrorist group? Not only that, here's some of the stuff that's been going on in terms of anti-abortion violence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence_in_the_United_States#United_States

I can understand why people would be compelled to think that way after seeing statistics like that, but they need to be smarter and do more research before they go blithering on about this kind of thing. That's a dangerous way to think, especially nowadays. Otherwise, we get premature judgments and bad shit tends to happen. Like making abortion illegal again would essentially cause bad things to happen. This explains why: http://www.livestrong.com/article/13934-nine-reasons-why-abortions-are-legal/

By the way, that first commenter in that last article is ridiculous for not at all considering women's rights on this matter. That person is a great example of a person who doesn't do much, or even any, research. Most people in that section don't seem to have any idea what they're talking about, really (partly because they are pro-life based on logic without research, but even the pro-choice people, sans one or two, don't argue well, either), but the first commenter is a prime example of what I'm talking about here. So fuck you, you insensitive assholes, and especially fuck the person who insulted this as just feminist propaganda.

No comments: