Friday, June 5, 2009

Neat Conversation Turned Uncomfortable

A couple of days ago, while waiting for new tires to be put on my car, I sat in a waiting room with an old man. He is a Christian priest who actually thought that religion was a bad thing for the world. We talked about his visits to foreign countries like South Korea and Mexico, our current generation's Rap music and it's influence on our children/teens (we both differed a bit in opinions on that subject), and various other cool things. Overall, he was a nice guy to talk to . . .

Except for one problem: he was against gay marriage because the Bible said being gay is a sin. We got into that conversation because we were talking about interracial marriages, and I asked him what he thought about gay marriages. I didn't tell him that I was a lesbian, nor that I supported gay marriages, though I may have hinted at supporting them. He was at least nice about what he'd said, but it seems the opposition has him convinced. I didn't get a lot of info out of him about his beliefs, but one thing that I learned was that he learned of the story of a church that denied a gay couple. Watch this video for more video:



That whole video is wonderful, I'd suggest watching it all.

Anyway, he didn't know the other side of the story, so he was for the church on this one. I corrected him on it, giving him the truth of the situation, but he still was arguing for the church. I knew at that point that it would just get worse from there, but I tried one more tactic. I told him about parts of the Bible that were questionable, such as the excerpt from Exodus that I noted in my first post. He made excuses that they were old Jewish traditions or some shit like that, which I don't believe. Even if they were, that shouldn't make one bit of difference because it's still crap made up by God, or, more likely, the men writing the Bible. Even if I'm wrong on that, I still find what he said to be quite ridiculous, and it still should be making people question the Bible's morality level, especially, when mentioning the phrase that says it's a sin to be gay, it tells people to kill anyone who's gay. This is literally what it says (NIV version, but it basically says the same thing in other versions):

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

-Leviticus 20:13

But here's the major problem: there are a lot of other ridiculous rules that Christians throw out because they know it's wrong. Well, if you believe in God, and you believe that God's infallible, then you can't just get rid of some of the rules just because you don't think it's right. If we choose to believe that what God told us to do in Exodus 21:7 is wrong, then why do a great number of people still believe what's discussed in Leviticus 20:13? How did we come to that conclusion? If some people just believe that being gay is a sin because the Bible says so, then why do they believe that it's wrong to sell your daughter into slavery? The Bible says it's okay to do so, and that she can't go free like men can, yet Christians throw that one out. They dedicate themselves to following what the Bible says, and yet they don't. This just goes to show that, if we followed all of those awful rules that the Bible states is okay to do or is mandatory, then we'd be living in quite a fucked up society. Don't get me wrong, though. I certainly don't advocate for following everything the Bible says, far from it. I just don't get this hypocrisy.

It still makes me feel queasy knowing the grasp that the conservative/Christian media has. Hopefully, that'll pass some day.

No comments: